Kohlrabi. It is among those alien-like veggies that I prevent eye contact with when I’m strolling down the fruit and vegetables line. Bear in mind that scene from E.T., when his face appears in the middle of all the packed animals? It resembles that. Eeeek.
What is kohlrabi, anyhow? The name is an enjoyable mix of German/Swiss words for cabbage and turnip, which is completely detailed. It’s a knobby, imperfectly round, tennis ball-shaped veggie with a spout of leaves, that makes it appears like a turnip from Jupiter.
Kohlrabi can be found in green or purple, however the flesh is white in either case. Its thick withins advise me of a broccoli stalk. It smells type of radish and tastes ambiguously cruciferous.
I nearly could not discover kohlrabi at the shop, however I lastly spied one unfortunate, limp lot and took it house with me. I utilized a veggie peeler to remove the rough brown areas and sliced it up, together with an apple. The crisp radish/sweet apple thing appeared a little odd initially, however quickly I could not withstand snacking on it.
Then I included some fresh tarragon, which has the most fantastic lemon-licorice taste to it, in addition to toasted sunflower seeds, lemon and olive oil. It was excellent. Oddly excellent. Crisp, sweet, a little tasty. I included some Gouda cheese on an impulse, after the image shoot, which cheese took the salad into this-salad-is-not-safe-around-me area. I ‘d advise including Gouda if you’re a cheese eater. This kohlrabi salad/slaw makes a terrific light side salad for warm fall days.
The dish originates from a brand-new book called Cooking with Seeds: 100 Delicious Recipes for the Foods You Love, Made with Nature’s A lot of Nutrient-Dense Active ingredients by Charlyne Mattox. It’s filled with innovative methods to include seeds to both familiar and more unique dishes. I anticipated a seed-focused book to use more entire grains and a little less butter, however it’s most likely more friendly as composed. Examine it out if you wish to discover how to work more seeds into your diet plan!
Crispy Apple and Kohlrabi Salad
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- Overall Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 4 portions 1 x
- Classification: Salad
This extremely easy kohlrabi salad includes honeycrisp apple, lemon, tarragon and olive oil! It’s a tasty and special fall side salad. You’ll enjoy it! Dish yields 4 side portions or 2 big.
- 2 little kohlrabi (about 1 pound, I utilized the green range however purple would be prettier), cut into matchsticks about 1/4 ″ broad
- 1 big Honeycrisp apple (about 1/2 pound), cored and cut into matchsticks about 1/4 ″ broad
- 1/3 cup grated gouda cheese (optional, disappointed)
- 1/4 cup fresh tarragon leaves
- 3 tablespoons toasted sunflower seeds *
- Lemon enthusiasm, to taste
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil, to taste
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice, to taste
- Flaky sea salt (like Maldon) and newly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a big serving bowl, integrate the kohlrabi and apple matchsticks. Include the cheese, if utilizing, and the tarragon leaves and sunflower seeds. Shave lemon enthusiasm freely over the bowl (I most likely utilized about half of a little lemon’s worth or more).
- Drizzle in 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon lemon juice, then spray gently with salt and black pepper. Utilize your hands to carefully toss the salad, then include another drizzle of olive oil and lemon juice if the salad appears dry. Complete with another light spray of salt and pepper and serve instantly.
Dish adjusted from Cooking with Seeds by Charlyne Mattox, with authorization.
* How to toast your own sunflower seeds: If you just have raw, saltless sunflower seeds in the house (like me), toast them in a little frying pan over medium heat with a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring often, till they’re turning gently golden on the edges, about 5 minutes.
Storage ideas: This salad keeps well for a day or more, offered that you utilize enough lemon juice to avoid oxidation (I utilized closer to 2 tablespoons and day-old leftovers were still fantastic).
Make it dairy free/vegan: Avoid the optional cheese.
▸ Nutrition Details
The details revealed is a price quote offered by an online nutrition calculator. It needs to not be thought about a replacement for an expert nutritional expert’s suggestions. See our complete nutrition disclosure here.
Check Out Complete Short Article https://cookieandkate.com/crispy-apple-kohlrabi-salad-recipe/ .