Lastly! I began dealing with this naturally sweetened pecan pie dish last fall, and it’s all set to show you in time for Thanksgiving this year. I’m so ecstatic.
Unlike many pecan pies, which are sweetened with corn syrup and refined sugar, this pecan pie is naturally sweetened with genuine maple syrup. As you can envision, the maple syrup taste makes this pie additional tasty.
I have actually been frightened by pie-making for too long, and lastly dominated my worries with this pecan pie. The filling is so simple to make.
Here’s a sneak peek: Toast the pecans in the oven for a couple of minutes. On the other hand, blend together eggs, maple syrup, melted butter, vanilla, and salt. You can include some bourbon to the mix to amp up the taste, if you ‘d like. That’s it!
Pie Crust Notes
The only challenging aspect is the pie crust. Pastry dough is infamously difficult and I have actually been terrified of it for too long! If I can make flaky, all-butter pie dough, you can, too. I guarantee.
I utilized this dish from The 4 & Twenty Blackbirds Pie Book to make the pie you see here, and I believe it’s a fantastic dish for novices.
I’m not a master baker, however I’m working my method through the web’s most popular pie doughs and may share my own dish if I can contribute. If not, I’ll share a post on pie-making pointers and techniques, since I have actually currently discovered a couple of to share.
I typically work specifically with entire wheat flour or other entire grain flours, however my efforts at making whole-grain pie doughs have actually come a cropper. Pies may be my one exception to the whole-grain guideline, a minimum of for the time being. Pies are for unique celebrations, after all.
Maple Pecan Pie Component Notes
Buy raw pecan halves for this dish (pre-roasted nuts frequently go rancid at the shop). We’ll toast the raw pecans in the oven for a couple of minutes to improve their taste. Ensure to purchase pecan halves, not pieces, for the most beautiful outcome.
Maple syrup classification has actually altered over the previous couple of years. Now all store-bought choices are Grade A, however their labels refer straight to their color and taste, which differs throughout the maple sugaring season. I selected the “dark color, robust taste” alternative, which is produced later on in the season, so the maple taste would be more noticable. Any range of genuine maple syrup will work for this dish. Pick a lighter alternative if you do not desire as much maple taste.
Eggs are extremely essential in this pie filling, using both structure and increase. I hesitate that I do not understand how to make this pie egg-free, if you’re serving a vegan or somebody with an allergic reaction. Perhaps aquafaba?
Butter includes some richness and golden color to the filling. This dish requires simply 2 tablespoons of butter, while numerous require 5 or more. Do not attempt to match your old preferred dish’s butter material; the filling will not set effectively and may leak into your oven.
Vanilla extract and optional bourbon improve the maple and pecan tastes, making this pie alluring! Even with a complete tablespoon of bourbon, the taste is quite subtle, do not stress over subduing the pie if you include it.
Pie Devices Notes
Pie pans differ in size and product. I created this dish for a basic 9-inch pie pan (affiliate link). If you acquired a pie pan from your grandma or wish to utilize a pre-made pie crust, it will work!
Serious Consumes suggests utilizing a glass pie pan for finest outcomes, so I’ll pass that idea along also.
Regrettably, the Pyrex pie pan offered in supermarket is 9.5-inches in size, which is an excellent quantity larger. Those will work, however the pie will not be as complete (you can include 1/4 cup more pecans to the mix to assist neutralize this).
I found out the tough method that you do not desire any pie active ingredients leaking into your oven (smoke detector!). So, I have actually composed the dish to advise you to put a pan under the pie as it bakes to capture any possible drips.
If you do not have a pastry cutter (for cutting the butter into the dough), I suggest this one made by OXO. It suits my hand much better than the others I have actually attempted.
If you do not wish to purchase a pastry cutter, no issue follow a pie dough dish that you can make by hand, like this one.
A metal bench scraper can likewise can be found in convenient for eliminating the dough from your rolling surface area. Utilize it below the dough to loosen up any stuck parts.
Please let me understand how this pecan pie ends up for you in the remarks! I hope it’s a success at your vacation table.
Searching For more Thanksgiving desserts? Here are a few of my favorites:
- Gluten-Free Apple Crisp
- Gluten-Free Apple Tart
- Pear Cranberry Crisp
- Pumpkin Pecan Polvorones
On the hunt for last-minute Thanksgiving dishes? This roundup is for you!
Naturally Sweetened Pecan Pie
- Preparation Time: 25 minutes
- Prepare Time: 45 minutes
- Overall Time: 1 hour 10 minutes (plus 1 hour dough chilling time)
- Yield: 1 pie 1 x
- Classification: Dessert
- Technique: Baked
- Food: American
This tasty pecan pie is sweetened with maple syrup! This pecan pie dish does not utilize corn syrup or refined sugar, and it’s so simple to make. Dish yields one 9 ″ pie.
- 1 single-crust pie dough (I utilized this dish)
- 1 3/4 cups pecan halves
- 3 big eggs
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Optional: 1 tablespoon bourbon
- 1/2 teaspoon great sea salt
- Optional, for serving: vanilla ice cream or whipped cream
- Prepare your pie dough as directed. On a floured work surface area, roll the dough into a 14-inch circle and curtain it throughout a 9-inch pie plate. Carefully nestle the dough into the edges of the pan. With scissors or kitchen area shears, trim around the edge so you have an even 1-inch overhang. Fold the overhang under itself to produce a thick border that rests over the rim of the pan. Utilize a fork to push carefully all around the border for a simple starburst result (see pictures). Location the pie pan in the fridge to chill while you make the pie filling.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit with racks in the middle of the oven and the lower third of the oven. Location the pecans on a big, rimmed baking sheet and bake them for 5 to 6 minutes, up until aromatic. Set the pan aside to cool, in the meantime.
- In a medium blending bowl, blend the eggs up until they are pale yellow. Include the maple syrup, melted butter, vanilla extract, optional bourbon, and salt. Blend up until well combined.
- Get rid of the pie pan from the fridge and set up the toasted pecans uniformly inside the pan. Blend the maple syrup mix again, then sprinkle all of it over the pecans.
- Location the pie on the middle rack, and your empty flat pan on the rack listed below to capture any possible drips. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or up until crust is golden brown and the middle of the pie has actually expanded (it will sink as it cools).
- Let the pie cool on a cake rack for 1 hour. Thoroughly slice the pie with a sharp knife and serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, if preferred. This pie will keep well in the fridge, covered, for approximately 3 days.
Make it gluten complimentary: This filling is gluten complimentary, so you’ll simply require to make a gluten-free pie dough. I have not attempted, so I do not have a dish to suggest, sorry!
▸ Nutrition Details
The info revealed is a quote supplied by an online nutrition calculator. It ought to not be thought about an alternative to an expert nutritional expert’s recommendations. See our complete nutrition disclosure here.
Check Out Complete Short Article https://cookieandkate.com/naturally-sweetened-pecan-pie-recipe/ .